- News & Info
- Contact Us
Below is information about auditioning for a UH choir for the Fall 2011 semester:
- Monday, May 9th – 9:00am to 2:00pm
- Tuesday, May 10th – 9:00am to 2:00pm
- Wednesday, May 11th – 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Fridays, June 10, 17, 24 (by appointment - contact Dr. Weber by bweberuh [dot] edu (email) or 713-743-3194)
- Fridays, July 8, 15, 22 (by appointment - contact Dr. Weber by bweberuh [dot] edu (email) or 713-743-3194)
- Fridays, August 5, 19 (by appointment - contact Dr. Weber by bweberuh [dot] edu (email) or 713-743-3194)
Do I need to audition?
- Students currently enrolled in Concert Chorale or Concert Women’s Chorus must audition to remain in the same ensemble for Fall 2011.
- Students currently enrolled in University Men’s Chorus or University Women’s Chorus only need to do an audition be in Concert Chorale or Concert Women’s Chorus Fall 2011.
- Students not currently enrolled in any UH choir only need to audition if they wish to be considered for Concert Chorale or Concert Women’s Chorus. If you’d like to sing in University Men’s Chorus or University Women’s Chorus, simply register for the class and show up in August.
- If you would like to audition for Concert Chorale or Concert Women's Chorus, email Dr. Weber (betsycookwebergmail [dot] com) for an appointment.
All auditions will be held in the Moores School Room 156.
Auditions will last approximately 10 minutes.
Auditions for students currently enrolled in a UH choir will consist of:
- Ear Training Test
- a passage (chosen by the choral faculty) from the “Sanctus” or “Libera me” of the Verdi Requiem. Students should prepare both movements.
Auditions for students not currently enrolled in a UH choir will consist of:
- Ear Training Test
- A prepared solo of your choice. Art songs, arias, hymns, and folk song settings are appropriate. Your solo should be memorized and you must bring sheet music. A piano accompanist will be provided.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I have to be a music major to sing in a UH choir?
No. All of our choirs are open to non music majors. In fact, we have many students singing in the choirs who are not music majors.
Can I earn credit towards my degree by singing in a UH choir?
Yes! For each semester you sing in a choir, you earn one visual & performing arts CORE credit toward your degree.
When do the choirs rehearse?
All of our choirs rehearse 2 to 3 times per week. Here is the current weekly schedule:
- Concert Chorale: MWF 1:00pm - 2:20pm
- Concert Women's Chorus: TTh 2:30pm - 3:50pm
- University Men's Chorus: TTh 11:30am - 12:50pm
- University Women's Chorus: TTh 11:30am - 12:50pm